A native of Mobile, Alabama, Phil has enjoyed a remarkable “football life” that now spans three decades and has included virtually every job in the sport.
Beginning as a 6-year old quarterback for the Mims Park Redskins, he continued at Murphy High School and progressed to the University of the South in Sewanee, Tennessee, where he played football and baseball. Following his graduation in 1987 with a degree in English, his career has included stints as a coach on offense and defense and as an area scout, personnel director and general manager. Off the field, he has also prospered as an author, speaker and radio and television analyst. Phil truly has an amazing, all-encompassing perspective on all things football.
In 2017, St. Martin’s Press released Phil’s book, 4th and Goal Every Day, which is his 360-degree view of the Crimson Tide program. From his childhood in Alabama to serving on Bill Belichick’s Cleveland Browns’ staff in the early 1990’s and now being the Crimson Tide radio analyst for the last nine-plus seasons, he gives the reader a complete and thorough picture of what it takes to win and explains why Alabama has enjoyed so much success over the past decade.
- 1987-89: University of Alabama, Graduate Assistant/TE Coach
- 1990: UCLA, Graduate Assistant/TE Coach
- 1991-93: Cleveland Browns, Defensive Assistant/Defensive Backs
- 1994-95: Cleveland Browns, Area and National Scout
- 1996-02: Baltimore Ravens, Director of College Scouting
- 2003-04: Baltimore Ravens, Director of Player Personnel
- 2005-08: Cleveland Browns, Senior VP and General Manager
- 2010-12: Philadelphia Eagles, Player Personnel Executive
- 2012-Present: Reese’s Senior Bowl, Executive Director
- 2009-Present: Crimson Tide Sports Network, Radio Color Analyst
- 2013-Present: SiriusXM Radio, ESPNU, SEC and NFL Analyst
- 2013-17: ESPN, “NFL Insiders” and “SportsCenter” On-Air Talent
”I have been fortunate to have worked with some of the best and brightest people in football. To have been exposed to coach Homer Smith for offense, Bill Belichick and Nick Saban for defense, Ozzie Newsome for player personnel and Eli Gold for broadcasting, I have been influenced by these men at the very top of their respective professions.Phil Savage